Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 14: Painting with light

Now this one was just for fun. I love taking pictures. Two of my very good friends came over one night last summer just so I could take some. They're so nice. This is a fun technique that you can do with photography that I first learned about in high school, and have experimented with here and there. It's often called "painting with light." In order to do them, usually you need to use a slow shutter speed, one that will stay open long enough while you move your lights. Depending on the amount of light and your F-stop, the time will vary. At night with little light, the exposure time will be longer but it can give you more to work with. I used a tripod and a remote control to avoid camera shake. With this one, the time was 4 seconds, just enough for my friend and I to swirl the circle of Christmas lights at the top and then lower them to get the streak effect. I like all the crazy lines the lights created.

3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. I've seen this done with sparklers around the Fourth of July and I think it makes such a cool picture every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! They're really fun to do. I've actually been wanting to do some with sparklers too. Maybe I'll get a chance to do some this summer. :)

      Delete
  2. I really like this photograph the best because of the color and the technique that you used with the lights. I have looked at other photos and I find them to be excellent.The combination writing and the photography really brings things to life.

    ReplyDelete